It seems like some iPhone users are having trouble when restoring their device to either stock, or custom iOS 4.3.3 firmware.Turns out, if you have changed your system’s host file to point to Cydia’s SHSH caching server (possibly for downgrading purposes), you wont be able to restore/update to iOS 4.3.3. iTunes throws Error 3194.
The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194). There is two simple solution.
- Download TinyUmbrella
- Launch it.
- Click on the “Advanced” tab.
- Uncheck “Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit”
- Click on “Apply Changes”
- Reboot your PC/Mac.
- Quit iTunes
- Locate your hosts file, in Mac OS X this is /etc/hosts and in Windows this is c:windowssystem32driversetchosts
- Open the hosts file with Administrator privileges
- Remove the following all lines include “ gs.apple.com “
- Save and exit
- Reboot PC or Mac and try restore again